Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Never morph an army. A DBA Battle Report

Jan and I had some new additions to our DBA collections and we opted to give Jan a trial run with his new toys this week. First up are his nicely done Italian Condotta. Looking through their enemies list (Jan and I always do historical opponents) I found I could morph up an Anatolian Turkoman list. We played on a 24" board this time around as it was a bonus addition to the army he purchased and it is sweet. The Condotta consisted of 2LH; 2x8Cb; 2x4Sp; 1xArt; 5x3Kn. I countered with 1xPs; 1x3Bw; 2x3Ax; 1Cv(Gen); a horde and 6LH.
A close up of Jan's deployment indicated to me that he was all about protecting his camp. Garrisoned by spear and fronted by crossbowmen in the woods, no light horse would be that suicidal to try at the camp. His open terrained right flank staged his LH and his knights protecting his central artillery deployment.

I decided I would try to win with my infantry. If I could make short work of his bowmen in the woods I could flank his cumbersome artillery and have 3 elements towards victory. Finding the fourth would be the challenge. With that as the plan I deployed my light horse against his knights; my General in the center and my main attack force of auxillia supported by skirmishers, bow and another LH off to the right. After the first bound the battlefield looked like this.

The Condotta took their bound and left me with an opportunity, or so I felt. I will charge his knights with my LH and go for a 2v3 QK by overlapping his line. IF I won that one, I now had a second shot at a QK at 2v3. I felt the risk was worth it as might force Jan to commit future PIPs here while I pressed forward with my infantry attack already up an element or two. The decision was made and in I went.Here's a close up.
Well not what I wanted but only a couple of recoils so no harm. Its the counterattack that followed which started to make a mess of things. The Condotta brough up knight and LH reinforcements and made short work of a Turk LH. 0-1.
The Condotta pressed his bow forward to support his attack while the Turks pressed on with the infantry.

Another Condotta knight victory and a hail of bolts on my unsuspecting auxillia and its all of a sudden 0-3. Ouch.
Its all over. Time to bury the dead. The final push by the Condotta knights and LH finished off the Turk invasion with bloody efficiency. 0-5.
I got spanked and that is an understatement. I blame all of you for not stopping me from that initial headlong charge by the LH battleline. I should have stuck to the plan. That's what you get for morphing an army. It doesn't fight as efficiently as a dedicated force. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Next up...
...Italian Condotta take on Jan's other new arrival - Later Swiss. Stay tuned!
Frank








Post a Comment

0 Comments