Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Wisconsin Dells Almost

My roots are in the midwest (Chicago, to be exact), and I have family in Minnesota and Wisconsin to this day; while my dad was alive we spent part of every summer heading back to that area for fishing, or to see my grandparents when they were still around. I loved it! 

That being said, today's photos involve a Wisconsin natural wonder/tourist attraction called the Wisconsin Dells. How do I describe the Dells? By letting Wikipedia do it! The Dells of the Wisconsin River, also called the Wisconsin Dells (from French dalles, or narrows), is a 5-mile gorge on the Wisconsin River in south-central Wisconsin, USA. It is noted for its scenic beauty, in particular for its unique Cambrian sandstone rock formations and tributary canyons.

Below is a 1958 photo featuring lots of cool old cars parked at the curb while tourists line up to buy tickets for a boat trip on the Wisconsin River. Note the Native American (facing away from us) in full headdress, ready for a photo op!


This next photo is from 1954, and shows another scene approaching the boats that would take guests on a cruise through this beautiful natural area. Sounds very pleasant! My Great Aunt invited lots of extended family (including me) to visit the Dells for several days, back when she turned 80. But I couldn't go, due to work. I've regretted it ever since.

Notice the AAA sign shaped like a canoe, and the row of extra Indian headdresses, and a genuine canvas teepee. More from Wikipedia: The cultural history of the area stretches back several thousand years, from early Paleo-Indian people to the more recent Native American peoples, such as Ho-Chunk, Sac, and Menominee, who left behind effigy and burial mounds, camps and village sites, garden beds, and rock art. 


Here's a photo, scrounged from the internet. Maybe I need to go see The Dells next summer!


Post a Comment

0 Comments