Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Quick and Easy

On occasions I have been known to buy a bottle of elderflower cordial as topped up with sparkling water it makes a good non-alcholic alternative to sparkling wine. However I don't make a habit of it because it is so expensive... (and frankly I prefer the wine!) So this week inspired by Pipany and the abundant hedgerows I went out a-gathering and came back with a bagful of these wonderful frothy elderflower heads. I've never tried making elderflower cordial before but it was incredibly easy.



I found a Sophie Grigson recipe (although Pipany has now kindly shared hers too) and started out by making a thick sugar syrup (1.8 kg sugar & 1.2 litres water). I then put the pared rind and two chopped lemons in a big bowl.



Added the 20 elderflower heads.

Poured over the boiling syrup and stirred in 75g of citric acid (bought from the chemist)


Left it to stand for 24 hours before straining and bottling!
Six bottles for £2.70 and about 20 minutes effort.
How quick and easy was that!


And it tastes delicious -
far more elderflowery than any bought variety I've tasted.
I need to make some fancy labels for my bottles now.
Meanwhile I'm enjoying a glass as I type!


Also this week I've abandoned my usual sock knitting for something much quicker and cuter... these little booties for silver pebble's new arrival. Made in Rowan cashcotton from Saartje's pattern.


Made in an evening and also quick and easy!

Post a Comment

0 Comments