Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Plans and Teensy Bathroom Cottage Style-BEFORE!

Silver Pennies Sundays
oldnewgreenredo

While Chicagoland did not get hit by the last storm, we are still hampered by snow and residual ice.  Like many---I have taken January off from blogging to work on REDO projects, clean, recycle, donate, and plan...basically spinning my wheels with not much to show for it.

Our DIY plans for this year are for NEW floors in two bedrooms---NEW wall treatments,  basically exchanging bedroom sets, and freshening my teensy bathroom. In Spring we will move on to the kitchen REDO when warm weather hits and we can live/eat/cook on the porch.

So, by posting my before pictures---LOL, maybe I will get started on my COTTAGE STYLE bathroom. This is probably the most personal of my spaces in the house.

oldnewgreenredo
My inspiration, which will stay after the REDO---is my shower curtain---I also used two more for the windows in the bedroom. These were from Walmart a few years ago---and were out of stock instantly. I love the ribbon work, for NEW curtains--they have a vintage vibe.

My style here is definitely cottage--also known as begged, borrowed, gifted and thrifted.


oldnewgreenredo

This room is so tiny---actually a walk-in closet we made into a REDO bathroom about twenty years ago. Sharing a bathroom with three men was less than ideal. Then, I was blessed to have this one to myself. I'm literally standing in the tub to take this picture.

It has been redone once. A near-miss-tornado lifted the roof shingles and we had water damage in the walls, so we replaced much of the drywall and the window.

oldnewgreenredo

We had a custom counter made for the tiny sink and over the commode. I have never painted the trim or the window yet. We still have one window to REDO in this house and then all will be replaced. It's nice not to hear the traffic a hundred feet away because they are triple-paned insulated glass...a definitely GREEN thing to do, here in Chicagoland.




oldnewgreenredo


Adeline, my sweet girl, is painted plaster from Michael's from the 1990's. I painted with various types of paint, crackled, rub-n-buffed with gold, blushed, lol,---and she's my favorite. I'm never tired of her, she moves around though. I'm sure when we flip the bedroom furniture, she will move into the bedroom.

oldnewgreenredo

I have always meant to paint the pot stand---but who knows what will be here when the vanity is repainted. I have a stash of McCoy pots and containers, somewhere-- hopefully I will use them for  counter containers.

oldnewgreenredo
I bought a quart of light blue/turquoise paint to do cabinet and mirror, and I have a great stash of glass hardware to REDO all the handles.

oldnewgreenredo

The reason so much is out on the counters, there is no place to put it. Our OLD house (cottage) is small, 1400 square feet on one level, but now perfect for retirees. We do have a basement I will share our family room done just prior to my starting the blog last summer.

oldnewgreenredo

Every wall in my house is covered with OLD NEW GREEN REDO: artwork, memorabilia, and items I love. My walls evolve--change and get tweaked, regularly.


oldnewgreenredo

This print is from Judy Orcutt, an artist I had in my original shop---this came in the last batch I ordered in 2005 and I tucked three of her pieces away for myself, when I closed. Her shop on Etsy is Quilligraphy. She was one of my best sellers and does artwork and gorgeous cards, and is just a neat lady.

oldnewgreenredo

These are two gifts from friends, one the embroidered dragonfly and the other a glass imprint of a wise owl, (hard to see, but I know he is there) from a very wise friend.

oldnewgreenredo

I love this OLD vintage towel...I found unused in my grandmother's stash. Possibly as OLD as the 1930's or 40's.

oldnewgreenredo

I  apparently have reached the stinky old lady stage---as all this wonderful stuff--I've been gifted that wasn't getting used stashed in my two small drawers. On the wall--not super attractive, but, everything is used now and I can actually find. The wallshelf I got at TJMAX for 1/2 price.

oldnewgreenredo

Two more wall prints I had from my shop---the company they came from is now defunct...but they were great sellers, and pansies are one of my favorites.

oldnewgreenredo

This is one of four panels in this great old frame---just as I found it, OLD from the 1940's probably.

oldnewgreenredo

The matching violets to the pansy print.

oldnewgreenredo

One of my son's gifted me this for Mother's Day a few years back. I'm glad he thinks of me that way--and it's perfect in here.

oldnewgreenredo

This OLD shelf is Arts/Crafts Movement oak book shelf---shame on me---I had my husband dismantle and trim it to fit this space. I haven't messed with the finish--but perhaps I should. It is no longer as found, anyway. Maybe a skim of the blue paint when i do the vanity.


oldnewgreenredo

All my towels are 100% cotton and vintage at this point---I just bleach them all each time I wash. Some were my grandmother's, or my mother's and others from my peach phase of the 1990's. They are all super absorbant and soft, seriously a GREEN thing to do. Why change towels everytime someone dictates---new colors? I try and keep them neat, unsuccessfully apparently.

oldnewgreenredo

A German paste wall pocket with a sweet bird holds que-tips, an English bonedish holds jewelry and lipgloss. I have yet to find a drawer unit to replace the peach one---but I still keep looking. I keep eye shadow and long makeup pencils in there, as I don't use them that often.

oldnewgreenredo

I can't get far enough away to get a full length picture of the shower/tub area, LOL. Here is a closeup of the embroidery.


oldnewgreenredo

Above the shelf is a gift---received when my life was not so smooth or blissful---I have framed it and placed it in the bathroom, where I see it everyday and am reminded of it's message.

oldnewgreenredo

"For one human being to love another: that is the most difficult of all our tasks, the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation."

R.M.Rilke   Rainer Maria Rilke 1875-1926.

Sigh, now I have shared my most intimate of spaces---to be a REDO, SOON.

Have a wonderful day, and thanks always for stopping by. I will be happy to answer questions, mails, or comments.

All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own, I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions or posts. Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog without my permission. Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi Magle


Sandi
 



Post a Comment

0 Comments