Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Main Floor Fireplaces and Scones.


This was another weekend of waiting for things to dry.  Part of me doesn't mind because I've been on a real writing kick lately and waiting for things to dry means that I can work on a few other things besides minis.

I try not to do that too often because I really can't work to much on minis during the week so I try to do the writing then.  But sometimes it just happens.

I needed to get all the stone on the fireplace and painted.



I like to paint once the stone is on the build because I can adjust the colors so they look more varied.  Then I coat the painted stone with a satin polyurethane to protect it from the grout.



I'd bought a resin Tudor fireplace for the bedroom and to give it a little more texture so it would look more like stone I added some of the sugar paste to it.  Mostly on the hearth and the brick backing  but a little on the front carving.



Once I painted it I added the satin polyurethane to it as well.



The grout I like to use is the Greenleaf Stucco and a little can go a long way so I've been trying to not mix up too much at once.




I wiped of most of the grout but I needed to let it dry overnight so in the morning I got a wet cloth and wiped more of it off the stone so the stone didn't look so pale.  Then there's another coat of the satin polyurethane.


Waiting for that to dry I decided to work on my sconces.



The more I looked at the sconces I'd bought the less I liked them.  The description said 'Tudor' but they looked too modern to me.  I took them apart and used the candles but made some new holders for them with drippy wax.

So they'd be more in keeping with the first floor of the cottage I made them out of wood and metal, similar to the standing candelabra.


With the glue still drying I decided to add the pot arm to the fireplace.  And got out a few things I'd bought or it to show them off.




The idea is to have the fire behind the spit.  I need to make a couple of little holders to place pots and kettles on for the little oven holes in front of the chimney but I'm not in a rush to do that yet.

The glue was mostly dry on the sconces so I decided to test them.  And yes! They all work.



Then I picked two and attached them to the chimney.


I'm going to wait on the glue to dry before I add the chimney to the fireplace.  So far I like how everything looks.

I have some jewelry findings and one of them would fit perfectly between the sconces on the fireplace.  I really like how it looks but I'm concerned that with the drying rack over the table that the kitchen will get too busy visually.  What do all of you think?


I'd need to take the loops off the top or make some dark nails to fill them and hold it onto the chimney.  It's part of the Fairy Tale section in Hobby Lobby and I just love the mystical look of it.

That's pretty much my weekend.  Hope everyone else is doing well.  I don't get to cross much off my list this time but I'll take every bit of progress I can get.



Drill & Route out channels for lighting wires.

Finish shutters & interior trim for all windows on main cottage. 
Build Fireplaces & chimneys
Cut bricks and stone for outside of lower walls and tower.
(Test Magic Brik) - in progress
Add brick/stone to fireplaces.
Plaster upper walls and third floor of tower.
Add timber to upper walls and third floor of tower. (testing)
Paint stone.
Add grout to stone and brick.
Ceiling beams on first floor.
Ceiling beams and roof support for lofted ceiling on second floor.
Ceiling beams and roof support for the tower.
Build furniture:
          Make sink
          Make curved table for tower room
          Make loom
          Adjust tables for lab
          Make stool
          Make telescope 1/2 done
          Make orrey 1/4 done
          Make tapestry
          Make rush mats
          Make bedding
          Make books & scrolls
          Make paper pottery
Furniture in place finalize lights.
          Make sconces
          Make candelabras
                 Standing Candelabra
                 2 small Candelabras
Add flooring
Plaster inside walls
Inside window trim & shutters
Build base for house.
Create 'slate' roof
Create front garden
          Make tree?
          Make stream?
          Make lake/river to go alongside house
          Make stone wall to go around garden
          Iron front gate.

Post a Comment

0 Comments