I was sharing with a friend who reads this blog that my purpose with the Saturday posts is not to scare anyone but to gently nudge readers every week to think about adding to their pantry. Even if it is a little at a time. My purpose is never to plant a seed of fear but to share the realization that the more prepared we are spiritually and physically for difficult times (which can come from even a financial setback), the easier it is for us to face tomorrow with peace.
However, for the first time in a year or longer, I felt the Lord's leading to once again do more than a gentle nudge. I don't do it often as I do prefer gentle nudges. But I believe we may be heading for some interesting times and I do not want anyone to not have food in the house because I was to shy to tell you I feel God is saying to get ready for some turbulence.
I firmly believe God places us in the time which He wants us to live and equips us for whatever that time brings with it. He is always with us and while it is easy to grow anxious or fearful... He can bring peace that passes understanding.
Which is why we not only deepen the pantry but we draw closer to Him. I have had seasons when I felt the hurricane force winds of adversity and had the mental image of holding onto His ankles for all I was worth!
There is a radio show I listen to from time to time if there is a guest I'm interested in hearing. I have their app on the iPad and check to see what guest is on that day. I haven't recommended it here as I don't always agree with the host and it leans heavily towards conspiracy theories. However, he has really good guests.
One topic they have talked about a lot is the threat of civil unrest in America. They were convinced we would see it escalate this year and reaching a peak as the elections come closer. They also believed we would see an escalation in race wars this year, unlike anything we have seen since the 1960s.
I admit that I was doubtful about the whole political unrest thing for I have lived through heated presidential campaigns and they tended to cool down before the election. But that was before Trump vs. Hillary vs. Sanders and we've seen riot police called in where political candidates were speaking. Crazy.
There have now been enough Isis shootings in our nation (not to mention the world) that we must take seriously what law enforcement officials have said all along... it is not if but when there will be another large scale terrorist attack. Even more unsettling is their opinion we will see the increase of lone wolf terrorists such as the Boston bombers and the recent terror attack in Orlando.
On Thursday we had the ambush of Dallas Police Officers in the name of Black Lives Matter after two shootings of black men by police in other states. I would insert here that all lives matter, whatever the color of our skin. One of the benefits of living near a University town is getting to know people of every color and tribe and religion face to face... in real life... as people.
So what does all of this have to do with the pantry? Okay... I'm throwing caution to the wind here. I don't want to scare anyone for I totally believe in God's protection. But it is looking more and more like we are going into a rocky time until and perhaps after the election. We are seeing realism on the news.
Now, that doesn't mean we will see civil unrest in our own neighborhoods or even our towns. But if it happens, we have got to be prepared for staying home awhile and have extra food, water, pet food, etc. on hand. And books.
It doesn't have to be happening around us to affect transportation and the availability of some products. At worst if the civil unrest were to be in or near our towns, we may have to hunker down awhile before we can go to the grocery store.
Does this concern me? Well, my husband and I were talking about it yesterday. Due to the fact my long term insulin is over $1,000 a box, my insurance only pays for one box at a time. It only lasts about ten days. I need it to survive and I can't get another prescription filled until I am down to one insulin pen. So for some of us we pray for miracles and prepare in the areas in which is possible.
I keep as deep a pantry as I can afford which means I have oats, rice, some pasta, and a few flats of veggies like green beans and sometimes very little meat in the freezer. Although, thankfully, I've been able to add chicken again recently. There were some great sales before the 4th of July.
Holly Deyo, author of Dare to Prepare (and a longtime Internet friend), believes everyone should have canned food in their pantry for an emergency, most have their own cooking water. Fruit is often canned in juice which would be helpful in an emergency.
My husband was looking at the three flats I have of canned green beans and reminded me he much prefers the fresh green beans. I reminded him what Holly said and does he want veggies in an emergency? He did talk me into giving all but a few cans of corn to the church's food pantry since he is not suppose to eat GMO corn. I negotiated a few cans for soup!
I know there are many who read these Saturday posts who believe in having as deep a pantry as possible. To me that is an act of faith, putting money into a pantry instead of a trip to say... Aruba. It is also a step of faith when those of us on a limited income spend some of it for the pantry, even if we cannot do a lot. If we hear His still small voice to deepen the pantry at least a little, anything we have done will be worth it.
So I have done my part and passed on what I believe God is saying to His people. I'm definitely not a prophet or anything like that but I do listen for His instructions and I also keep my ear to the ground to see what those I respect are saying.
Which is why I titled this post, "Trust God But Pass the Rice". We are never to fear but we are always to obey if we feel He is saying to do something. Pray about it. For some He may say to have a couple weeks of food and necessary supplies on hand. Other may (and have) felt that nudge to do more.
If you are lacking peace after this last week, you may want to read a good book instead of watching the news as they replay the tragedies over and over. Once was enough. I got it. I know how to pray for the victims both black and white. But then I turn the TV off to read a book or even better... read The Book.
Sorry for the rambling post as I try to put my ponderings onto

0 Comments